NEWUser. Whats the most accurate input - Asset classes ?

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
goixiz

NEWUser. Whats the most accurate input - Asset classes ?

Post by goixiz »

I am a new user to FRP and i can see it will be a valuable tool for me to gain confidence on my spending and wealth preservation. I want to run the simulation with the most realistic (hence accuracy of my input is important GIGO) input.

I have lots to learn from the documentation but i want to know if i can enter a specific portfolio (savings / cd / taxable brokerage / Traditional IRA / Roth IRA / HSA) with some granularity such as $ stock / bonds / international / cash amount. I also have a plan to drawdown all my savings (minus emergency cash) before i draw from IRA.

Thanks in advance
jimr

Re: NEWUser. Whats the most accurate input - Asset classes ?

Post by jimr »

The planner doesn't handle that level of granularity on the portfolio inputs. The planner just uses a portfolio return and standard deviation for input and doesn't know how to calculate or estimate these from portfolio asset class information (eg % stock/bond.etc). The main input page shows some sample stock/bond portfolio breakdowns with associated return/std dev values, but the return/std devs associated with each portfolio type are hard-coded as inputs and are not computed by the planner.

It is possible to use the rate table in the additional inputs window to specify different return/std dev values for each of the three portfolio types that the planner supports (taxable, deferred, tax free). Any return/std dev entries created in additional inputs will override the return/std dev values entered on the main input page.