Investment Rollup/ taxes

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
gg80108

Investment Rollup/ taxes

Post by gg80108 »

I put my IRA into Tax Def Portfolio and put in an additional input of a 3% rate of return. Starting age 64, taking nothing till RMDs. I don't see the Tax deferred portfolio increasing by 3% before RMDs. Min withdrawal age 70.

I get social security and use cash to live on. I put my cash into Tax Free Portfolio(?). I selected Withdrawals from taxable, then tax-free, . I can see the tax free going down, tax deferred steady, but there is a large amount of taxes, where there should be zero taxes till RMD time. I even put 0 tax rates in where ever I could find but still takes out taxes. At age 70 the taxes go to zero.
Looks like the program has a 10% tax built in for Tax Free withdrawls..

Does this program figure out how much of your social security is taxable if any?
Last edited by gg80108 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimr

Re: Investment Rollup/ taxes

Post by jimr »

All of the planner outputs are shown in today's value dollars.

That means if the def portfolio rate of return is 3% and inflation is 3%, the year-to-year portfolio balance would be expected to stay exactly flat, indicating that it's exactly keeping up with inflation, no more and no less.
jimr

Re: Investment Rollup/ taxes

Post by jimr »

On the taxes, by chance did you change the min IRA/401k withdrawal age? That setting determines the minimum age you can take penalty free withdrawals from deferred and tax free accounts. Perhaps what you're seeing in taxes is from a penalty?