What's next?

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
JoelAlbert

What's next?

Post by JoelAlbert »

Jim,

No secret that I really love this application and it has been a very effective tool in planning my retirement.

So what's coming next? Is there a new release scheduled?

Thanks,

Joel
jimr

Re: What's next?

Post by jimr »

Joel,

Thanks for the kudos on the planner. The truth is I don't have much in the pipeline for new features. The sensitivity analysis feature that I added a couple years back was really the last big functionality push. I did add some enhancements to the COLA stuff in additional inputs last year, but mostly I've been spinning revs to fix minor gui bugs and to keep up with security updates, which I plan to continue to do as needed.

There are certainly some things in the planner that could be improved or expanded, but most of them would require a lot of effort for a relatively small gain in terms of improving the planner's fidelity or shedding new light on hidden aspects of a plan.

Jim
JoelAlbert

Post by JoelAlbert »

Jim,

If you are interested, contact me offline to discuss a couple of additional suggestions especially around usability and modeling different scenarios that have minor changes to them.

Joel
trfrp

Post by trfrp »

Jim,

I would love to see the floating start and end years that I discussed in this thread. This would be a big improvement, particularly for sensitivity analyses involving life expectancy (which currently crashes if your death year is less than the dates in your additional inputs). Thanks.

Taylor
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

One thing I would like to see added is the ability to have the program easily model Roth conversion options
robbinia

Post by robbinia »

Hi,
I really love the program but would like the ability to specify future expenses as a percentage of portfolio value, e.g. fund mgmt fees.
At the moment, I take the estimated portfolio value, calculate dollar amounts and then put these as fixed expenses.
Being able to specify a % would mean the expense will flex in real time according to the projected portfolio value.

Thanks
Ian
enigma-2

Post by enigma-2 »

I just found this program and have also fallen in love with it. It is absolutely the best one I have found. Thank you for writing this.

If your open to users throwing in their wants .....
(Hope I'm not overstepping)

I would like to see an additional area added to the "Additional Inputs" screen where the user enters their individual monthly expenses by category, with the current dollar amount and the ending date similar to the current inputs.
The total will be automatically picked up and added to the "Annual Retirement Spending" input box.

Currently I have my various inputs on a spreadsheet and have to (find it first) open it and make adjustments, then plug the total into the program.

Perhaps something similar to Vanguard's spreadsheet for example:

-Housing
Primary Mortgage
Secondary Mortgage
Property taxes
Secondary Property taxes
Primary Homeowners insurance
Secondary Homeowners insurance
Rent
Utilities
Maintenance/fees
HOA fees
Other

-Food
Groceries
Dining out
Other

-Transportation
Loan Payment
Vehicle maintenance
Fuel
Auto insurance
Public transportation
Other

-Health care
Medical services
Medications and supplies
Health insurance
Other

-Personal insurance
Life insurance
Disability insurance
Long-term care insurance
Other insurance

-Personal care
Clothing
Products and services
Other

-Family care
Alimony
Child care
Other

-Miscellaneous
Loans/credit cards
Entertainment
Travel/vacation
Hobbies
Gifts
Education
Charitable contributions
Other
Other
Other
Other
Aholiab

Post by Aholiab »

A year ago (January, 2017,) my financial planner (a personal friend who represents a major investment house) was excited to show me how he could show me Monte Carlo sensitivity analyses for my retirement plans. I knew enough about what he was doing to think, "I'll bet I can find a way to do this myself!" So I started looking for someone who would do this--and I found FRP! It seems like the best that is available for guys like me. :)
Wendel

Post by Wendel »

I would really like to be added to the program's ability to convert the Roth model Regras ABNT
trfrp

Post by trfrp »

Jim,

I was very excited to see the recent updates to FRP. Can you confirm whether the new version allows for the floating start and end years that I discussed in this thread? They would be very helpful, particularly for sensitivity analyses involving life expectancy (which can crash if your death year is less than the dates in your additional inputs). Thanks.

Taylor