New User

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
jerorver

New User

Post by jerorver »

I saw some great reviews and comments regarding this planner and decided to give it a try. I don't have financial planning background, but read the documentation and tried some of the Additional Inputs, with one of our accounts, and a basic scenarios to see what it would do. It seems to be showing with the running balance, income, taxes, contributions and expenses fine, but is not calculating a return on the tax deferred investments using the portfolio return that I entered . Here are print screens of the various screens that I am looking at. What did I miss?
One other question. Is there a way to export/save the table data to a spreadsheet?
Looking forward to learning more about the program and using it to analyze all our investments and various scenarios as we approach retirement.
Thank-you.
Craig
FRPAddlInputs.png
jerorver

Re: New User

Post by jerorver »

FRPDetailed.png
jerorver

Post by jerorver »

FRPSummary.png
jimr

Post by jimr »

One thing that sometimes trips people up is that detailed view table shows amounts for all years in present value (inflation adjusted) dollars. That means if a nominal amount grows enough to exactly keep up with inflation, it'll stay exactly the same from year to year. If it doesn't grow enough to keep up with inflation, it'll decrease from year to year. If it grows more than inflation, it'll increase from year to year.

It looks like you're specifying a 4.6% nominal return with 2.5% inflation, which means the portfolio growth should be around 2.1% per year. Taking a quick look at the output, that seems to be about what's happening. Are you expecting something different?

Also, to export any table into excel, you can right-click on any cell and you'll get a menu that lets you copy/export/print. (also if you right-click on any column header, you can hide columns or select "show all columns" to see a bunch more information.
jerorver

Post by jerorver »

Thank-you Jim, that does make sense. Exporting to excel was helpful also, to be able to expand all the columns. Is there a column that shows the actual return dollars each year? Also, is there a way to change the data to show future value dollars, instead of present value? Have a good night.

Craig
jerorver

Post by jerorver »

Checking back in. Is there a column that shows the actual return dollars each year? Also, is there a way to change the data to show future value dollars, instead of present value? Thank-you.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Sorry, but there isn't a column for portfolio growth and also there's no way to show the amounts in inflated dollars.