Roth Set Up Instructions

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Old Mike

Roth Set Up Instructions

Post by Old Mike »

Hey Jim - Thank you for putting Roth conversions into FRP. This tool just keeps getting better.

Do you have any instructions written up regarding the proper use of the Roth Conversions input? I'm playing around with it but unsure of how to set it up correctly. I'm assuming the taxable amount should always be 100% and that COLA should be set to None. Is that right?
jimr

Re: Roth Set Up Instructions

Post by jimr »

The taxable percent depends on your IRA's tax basis. As I understand the tax rules, if you're IRA contains some after-tax contributions, some percent of your rollover won't be taxable. So in that case the percent would be less than 100%.

For COLA, you could probably enter it either way depending on what you're trying to do. I assume most people will want to try converting their entire tax deferred balance to a ROTH over a relatively small number of years (say 5-10). If that's the case, changing the COLA type will just change the time it takes to get all the funds rolled over and I wouldn't expect it to make too much difference either way.