FRP longevity

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
klrjaa

FRP longevity

Post by klrjaa »

Hi Jim
Great tool, have been using it for years and years.
Question, is there a succession plan for when/if you are no longer able to maintain the code?
If not, then an alternate approach might be to take anything that's hardcoded and requires periodic updates by you behind the scenes and make all that user enterable via another user input screen.
Something like that, thanks !!
klrjaa

Re: FRP longevity

Post by klrjaa »

Geez Jim hope I didn't jinx anything thanks
jimr

Post by jimr »

Sorry, I must have missed your earlier question.

The short answer is that I don't have much of a succession plan in place. I vaguely plan to eventually open source the code. but I'm not ready to go that route yet. That's the sort of thing I'm envisioning at some point over the next 5-10 years.

In terms of keeping up with changes and user inputs, there isn't much that can't be overridden. The main thing I've changed recently to keep up with US law changes were the RMD start age and life expectancy table. I made the RMD start age user configurable and the last time the life expectancy table was changed before the most recent one was many many years ago. So I don't expect it to be an issue in the foreseeable future.

Things like tax rates, inflation, and portfolio returns are already fully customizable, so there shouldn't be any issues with that stuff.

Jim
klrjaa

Post by klrjaa »

thanks Jim for the response, sounds good