Investing Money I Don't Have

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
kleinfelter

Investing Money I Don't Have

Post by kleinfelter »

If I enter $10K more expenses than income, FRP shows that the money runs out before the end of plan, as expected. It knows enough to deduct that excess spending from my portfolio each year, until the portfolio value is $0. (I'm entering all my cash flows on the Additional Inputs screen.)

But if I start with balanced income/expenses, and then I enter $10K of Cashflow Type of Tax Free Savings, I'm telling it to save money I don't have. But it shows this transfer-to-savings as increasing my portfolio each year. FRP appears to assume that the source of this transfer is not from income or from a portfolio draw-down.

1. Is the source for Cashflow Type of Tax Free Savings assumed to be external to the plan?
2. If I want to trick FRP into sourcing Tax Free Savings from my income/assets, could I just enter a matching miscellaneous expense?

My real goal here is to model a more complex savings plan than the single "Tax Free Annual Savings" on the main screen can handle. e.g. Tax Free Annual Savings assumes I transfer that amount to savings in every year before retirement, and I'm trying to move that to the Additional Inputs screen, so I can say it happens in these years but not those years.
TIA
jimr

Re: Investing Money I Don't Have

Post by jimr »

1. Is the source for Cashflow Type of Tax Free Savings assumed to be external to the plan?
2. If I want to trick FRP into sourcing Tax Free Savings from my income/assets, could I just enter a matching miscellaneous expense?
The answer to question 1 is yes, the source for all the savings cash flow types is assumed to be external to the plan.

The answer to question 2 is also yes, however you'll want to make sure you adjust correctly for any income tax implications. Another approach is to reduce income by the amount of the tax free savings. Again, you may need to adjust the amount if there are tax considerations.

Jim