Additional tools question, specifically about Bond Portfolio Spreadsheet

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Peculiar_Investor

Additional tools question, specifically about Bond Portfolio Spreadsheet

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Apologies if this topic is outside the scope of this forum/board.

The Additional Tools page has an extremely useful Bond Portfolio Spreadsheet. I've been using this Version 2.10 of this tool for many years. IIRC I have even reported a bug and helped get it resolved. On numerous occasions I have recommended it to members of the Bogleheads forum and their "sister" Canadian forum.

I am a Canadian based investor and some of the column headings and other fields are U.S. specific. That is easy to fix.

I am now in the process of migrating to the most current version and have feature request or two.
  1. On the Bond Input Sheet, the Type column is subject to data validation. Tracing things back, it would appear that the values come from 'Bond Portfolio'!CJ$8:'Bond Portfolio'!CN8 which are hidden columns. It might be cleaner to provide them as a table on the Misc Data sheet where some other data validation ranges are defined.
  2. Would it be possible/practical to add an 'Account' column to both the Bond Input Sheet and Bond Portfolio sheet? My bond portfolio is spread over 5 different accounts and being able to filter on the 'Account' makes it easier to update Latest price information from my broker's website and/or statements.
Thanks for reading and most importantly thanks for providing this excellent set of Additional tools to the general public.
jimr

Re: Additional tools question, specifically about Bond Portfolio Spreadsheet

Post by jimr »

I'm glad to hear you have found that spreadsheet useful over the years.

I created that spreadsheet over 15 years ago and unfortunately my Excel skills have atrophied quite a bit since then.

I don't have any plans to actively maintain or improve the spreadsheets on that page, though I will continue to make them available in case anyone finds them useful as a jumping off point to build something of their own.

Just to make this clearer to anyone thinking about using these, I added some caveat text at the top of the tools page to indicate they are not being actively maintained.

Probably not the answer you hoped for, but it was good you posted to remind me that I should add a caveat to that page.

Best,

Jim
Peculiar_Investor

Re: Additional tools question, specifically about Bond Portfolio Spreadsheet

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Thanks for the reply and more importantly an invaluable spreadsheet.

I spent more time today working on migration from my current version to the most "recent" one and partially answered my first question. It was actually staring me right in the face. On the Bond Portfolio page is a table with Bond Type and Tax Rate. The Bond types throughout populate from that table.

Next up is figuring how I implemented an account column back in the day.

Cheers,
Peculiar_Investor.