Can you save the planner inputs?

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
frp user

Can you save the planner inputs?

Post by frp user »

Can you please tell me how to save my settings from a new session? The tool seems to have latched onto my initial settings from the very first time I used it.
Thanks for the help!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you save the planner inputs?

Post by admin »

Sorry. but the tool doesn't have the capability to save your settings.

The values you're seeing are the program defaults.

There is a standalone/downloadable version of the planner coming soon and that version will allow you to save your inputs.
lonnie

Post by lonnie »

might I suggest that at least when you are able to save the inputs, that the user be able to label/name them. That might help some even now when playing with enabling and disabling some of them to compare the outputs.
jimr

Post by jimr »

lonnie wrote:might I suggest that at least when you are able to save the inputs, that the user be able to label/name them. That might help some even now when playing with enabling and disabling some of them to compare the outputs.
The downloadable version of the planner allows you to create multiple "scenarios" that are each named. Also, when you save the data for the planner (including all defined scenarios) you get to choose the filename for the file.

Does that sound workable?

Jim
lonnie

Post by lonnie »

Named scenarios are a little different, but sound useful too. For example, If I can name an "other expense" as "mortgage principal and interest" then I can remember and see what that expense is when I manipulate it.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Your "named inputs" suggestion certainly sounds useful. I'll put it on the to-do list. Fair warning though - I probably won't get to it unless I have a need to dig into that part of the code again.

Out of curiosity, about how many of these inputs do you tend to have typically?

Thanks,

Jim

Post by Guest »

sorry about the long delay in responding. I usually end up entering 10-15 additional inputs. some are hypothetical to see what effect working longer would have, spending more or less, taking SS at different ages, etc.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Got it. Thanks for the response. I'm glad I asked, because I would have figured 10 would be plenty. As they say, never assume.

Anyhow, if I dig into this part of the code again, it shouldn't be too tough to add.

Thanks again,

Jim