A question about "Retirement Income Start Age"

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
frp user

A question about "Retirement Income Start Age"

Post by frp user »

with no other entries changed...
i modify my "retirement income start age" from 55 to 62, the "probability of success goes" DOWN from 99.8% to 73.6%...
i can't get my head around this...

is the definition of "retirement income start age" the age at which i start drawing from my funds for retirement?

thx for the great tool!
admin
Site Admin

Re: A question about "Retirement Income Start Age"

Post by admin »

The Retirement Income Start Age is the age when you start receiving the income amount in the above field. It's not related to the Withdrawal amount field (maybe I should put more space between them :)

Usually, the retirement income is from a pension or social security and often the retirement income start age is later than your retirement age. There's a built in assumption that this income continues until the end of the plan. If you need to be more specific in entering retirement income, you can zero this field out and use the additional inputs tab.

The Retirement Age (in the upper left of the page) is your desired retirement age. This is when any annual savings you specified stops and you begin withdrawing from your portfolio each year.

If you plan to retire at 55, but not start social security until 62, retirement age should be 55 and retirement income start age should be 62.

It might help to look at the detailed output which shows the yearly cash flows.

Please don't hesitate to email again if you have more questions,

Jim
frp user

Re: A question about "Retirement Income Start Age"

Post by frp user »

thanks, jim...

appreciate the quick response...
got it now...