Portfolio Value at Retirement disagrees with current value

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Redtarga

Portfolio Value at Retirement disagrees with current value

Post by Redtarga »

What I mean is that I am already retired, and for FRP I assume my retirement age is equal to my current age and that my portfolio value is set to equal today's value. When I run FRP it always comes up with a Portfolio Value at Retirement that is tens of thousands less than actual value. Why wouldn't it always start with the current value?

Thanks.
jimr

Re: Portfolio Value at Retirement disagrees with current val

Post by jimr »

As it happens, "Portfolio value at retirement start" is the value at the end of the year in which you retire. I can see how this is confusing. You could call this a bug, but I think of it more as a quirk :) (btw, I'm also retired, so I see this quirk in my own results, but since I wrote the code it didn't surprise me).

Anyhow, the end of year portfolio value includes changes due to portfolio returns, additional contributions, and expenses. For people retiring in the future, "portfolio value at retirement start" is more interesting than if you're already retired. You can ignore this output, or rename it in your head to "Portfolio Value at end of first year."

BTW, you can see a year-by-year breakdown of this in the detailed view.

Hope that helps...

Jim
Redtarga

Re: Portfolio Value at Retirement disagrees with current val

Post by Redtarga »

Thank you, Jim. Now I understand.

Michael