custom button

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
palomalou

custom button

Post by palomalou »

Sorry--does the custom button appear on a Mac? Can't find it. Under additional inputs I changed the portfolio return rate, but it did not change on the main page.
jimr

Re: custom button

Post by jimr »

I'm a little confused what you mean by the 'custom button' but I'll take a guess at an answer.

The additional inputs window allows you to override the main planner inputs with yearly granularity. When you specify a rate of return in additional inputs, you have to specify a start and end year, which could be the start of the plan to the end of the plan (eg override the main planner portfolio return for all years) or any subset of years between.

There's no custom button in the additional inputs window because it requires you to enter a portfolio return and a standard deviation instead of just specifying a portfolio type. In effect, every entry is custom.

Also, changes that you make on the additional inputs window don't change the values on the main planner input page. To verify that the planner is doing what you want, run the planner then click on the detailed view tab to see the table of year-by-year results. The second column shows the average return and standard deviation that was used in the simulation for each year of the plan. In general, this detailed view table shows the results of merging the inputs from the main planner window with any overrides specified in the additional inputs window.

Please let me know if I answered your question or if the planner is still behaving in an unexpected way.

Best,

Jim