New Version Gives Very Different Result

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
herveb

New Version Gives Very Different Result

Post by herveb »

I recently upgraded from the 7/25/2014 4.00.03a version to the latest version 4.01.00 and received results that are significantly different. Same input, but Median Ending Portfolio Balance $500K higher with the new version. I went to the online version and the results are similar to what I get with the 4.00.03a version. Printed the results from the three versions to insure the inputs were all the same. Both computers are running Windows 7. Is there a bug?
jimr

Re: New Version Gives Very Different Result

Post by jimr »

One change in the latest version of the planner that may impact ending portfolio value is how 'No Cola' cash flows are handled. Do you have any 'No Cola' cash flows in additional inputs in your 04.00.03a setup?

Aside from that, if the web version is producing different results from the downloadable version, it's most likely that there's something different in the inputs or settings between the two setups. You can verify the version of the online web planner by clicking on 'Help'. Unless you're somehow using a cached web version, it should show 04.01.00. In addition to verifying all of the inputs and additional inputs, also verify that 'Settings' are configured the same.

The java executable for the web planner is identical to the java executable in the downloadable planner. The web planner runs in a different environment, so it looks different, but the code is identical down to the byte, assuming the same versions.

Another possibility is that there's some sort of .frp file loading bug that's causing your frp data to be incorrectly read into the planner in the new version. This area of code didn't change any between the two versions, but with software, sometimes a change in one place can show up a latent bug in another place. It might be worth it to start a fresh .frp file using 'New' and enter the plan manually.

Let me know if any of this helps. I'm very interested in getting to the bottom of this and if you'd like, you can email me at info@flexibleRetirementPlanner.com if that's easier.

Jim