Exporting from MacOS, Catalina, 10.15 laptop using modified right-click trackpad function

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
redderhead

Exporting from MacOS, Catalina, 10.15 laptop using modified right-click trackpad function

Post by redderhead »

Jim,

Thanks for your hard work on this excellent tool.

I searched the forum for the way to export csv data from a Mac in the Java-based, standalone application version of the flexible retirement planner (frp) and couldn't find a solution. The function is described in the frp forum as requiring a mouse right-click, a function not obvious for a mouse-less, trackpad-based laptop.

So when I figured it out on my Apple MacBook Air laptop I thought I'd add it to the support forum in case others here needed that function.

In MacOS 10.15.x, the right click function is available after Enabling Alternate Pointer Actions.

This is accessed via Apple Menu > System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Enable alternate pointer actions. Then click Options to see what the default keystrokes for right click are.

My default was F12, which on my MacBook Air is the fn key + F12, the key along the top row of keys on the keyboard next to the power button. The default keystroke can also be changed on that Options page if you like.

So to export frp data from, say, the very rich Detailed View > Show More Detail table, do the following:

1) click anywhere in the displayed frp table after a run,
2) click fn + F12 and make a selection from the pop-up window that appears (Copy Table to Clipboard or Export Tape Data… or Print Table…)

The data exported is complete with column headers. It imports in the MacOS spreadsheet Numbers application perfectly.

This export process also works with the newly added frp Additional Inputs table export function that Jim added in Version 04.03.01.

And finally, this modified right-click function also works to display the extra detailed view columns (all 35 of them!) that were added in Version 04.03.03.

Thanks again Jim for this useful Monte Carlo-based financial model.

Red Head
jimr

Re: Exporting from MacOS, Catalina, 10.15 laptop using modified right-click trackpad function

Post by jimr »

Red Head,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. I'm sure it'll be helpful for the mac folks out there.

Also, I think these right-mouse export features are sort of hidden and many users don't even know about them, so it's great to have a forum topic dedicated to this functionality.

Finally, if you don't already have a personal use license key, please send an email to info@flexibleRetirementPlanner.com and I'll send one along as a thank you for this very helpful post.

Jim