Upgrade most recent version will not open

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
TerriM

Upgrade most recent version will not open

Post by TerriM »

My computer is running Windows 10. Previous version of FRP 04.02.15 worked fine. Just tried to upgrade to latest version and it said it successfully completed. When I try to open the new version, an icon pops up very briefly, disappears, and FRP doesn't do anything from there. :?
jimr

Re: Upgrade most recent version will not open

Post by jimr »

I've had a handful of reports of this happening in the past 6 months and it seems to be some sort of windows update java interaction issue.

So far the issue has been corrected for everyone who's reported it by 1) running windows update and installing any updates available, then 2) rebooting the computer.

Please let me know if the issue persists after doing these steps.

Jim
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Thanks for the reply. I just verified that my Windows 10 is fully up to date with no updates pending. Any other suggestions?
jimr

Post by jimr »

Did you do the reboot?
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Hi Jim,
Yes, actually several times! I checked task manager after trying to open and getting the brief icon flash and it doesn't show the app as being open.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Hmmm.

It might be worth giving the latest beta version a try. It has the latest java update embedded in it and although I don't know of any specific launch issues it might have fixed, it's probably worth a try.

The download link is here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1381
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

I installed the new beta version from your link to 2 computers in our household and it does the exact same thing on both. I use Trend Micro for our security and I checked its logs and it has nothing listed in recent threats. Both computers are Asus computers - one is a desktop and the other is a laptop/tablet. The laptop has been running the older version of FRP for several years. The other computer has never run FRP because it is used only for my photography. On both computers, the FRP shows up in the programs listing in Control Panel with minimal information - just the name with "(for removal only)" after the name and the date of download. The other information is blank.

Just can't think of anything else that could be causing this problem. I really appreciate your assistance.
jimr

Post by jimr »

What you describe about the program listing showing just remove only sounds right.

I'm a bit at a loss since this seems to be happening at startup and I can't reproduce it myself. I did just spin a new beta to change the startup code a bit. A few releases ago I ran into an issue with heap space and I added a line to the startup code to set heap space as a percent of available memory. I just changed that to ask for a specific size instead, on the guess that maybe this has something to do with the problems you're having. This latest test version is called beta7 and can be downloaded here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1381

Also, if you can't get this to work, at least as a fall back you could download the .zip and then install java from java.com. From there, you can just launch the program as a jar rather than as an installed executable (the windows executable has a release of java built into it and it seems like launching that embedded java is what's failing for you.)
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Hi. Thank you for all of your support. I deleted everything related to FRP from my laptop computer, re-downloaded the version from the website, installed it and it just opened fine now. I have no clue what could have changed. I didn't really expect that deleting everything FRP from my laptop would work since the problem also occurred on my desktop that never had FRP. Regardless, I am now a happy camper - all seems to be well in my universe. :D

Again, a million thanks!
jimr

Post by jimr »

Thanks for following up and I'm glad you got it working. Sorry for all the hassle with it.

Jim