How to resolve Mac File Open or Save Issues

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
pacificoast

How to resolve Mac File Open or Save Issues

Post by pacificoast »

Hi there,

After recently updating my Mac to Catalina I ran into an issue opening or saving FRP files too. Having reviewed other solutions here and elsewhere none of them worked for me so I thought I'd post my resolution:

- Go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, then the Privacy Tab
- Click on Full Disk Access on the left
- Click on the padlock at the bottom left of the dialog and enter your Mac password
- Click on the + symbol on the right panel to add an application
- Add/navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Java Web Start.app and click Open
- You should now see the Java Web Start application listed

This only works if you run the FRP application using launch-frp-application.jnlp

This is a bit of a blunt instrument way to resolve the issue as it provides java access to your entire disk, but it's the only thing that worked for me.

Thanks, Nick
jimr

Re: How to resolve Mac File Open or Save Issues

Post by jimr »

Thanks for writing this up, Nick. Folks are constantly running into trouble with this, so it's great to get an update on how to work through the latest glitches.

For the security conscious, It might make sense to make a note of the steps to change the permissions and then enable access only while you're working on your plan (say for a day or a few days at a time). Then remove the permissions during periods when you're not actively working with your plan.

This is a pain to do, but it could reduce the chance that a malicious program that finds its way onto your computer at some point later on can leverage the open Java permissions.
beach58

Post by beach58 »

I had to follow this procedure, but with a slightly different wrinkle.

I was previously running an older licensed version of FRP standalone (v 04-02-02) using FRP.jar. Today I updated to FRP 04-04-01 using launch-frp-application.jnlp. It could not open my old .frp configuration file. Also, the file/open from the FRP menu produced a blank window.

I followed the above procedure, however the file, System/Library/CoreServices/Java Web Start.app was not there. Instead, I found System/Library/CoreServices/JavaLauncher.app

Everything now works, but I am leery of providing full disk access to JavaLauncher and will disable when I'm done. There has to be a better way?

I'm also wondering if JAVA renamed JAVA Web Start to JavaLauncher.

Using:
MacBook Pro (intel)
Mac OS 12.2.1 Montery
JAVA 12.0.2
jimr

Post by jimr »

Thanks for posting this update.

Was there a reason you didn't launch frp.jar directly like you did with the previous version, rather than starting it from the .jnlp file?
beach58

Post by beach58 »

I was going to ask about running with frp.jar. The readme file has the text,"If the automatic install doesn't work or you'd prefer to do things manually, you can simply move frp.jar file somewhere and launch it..."

Where is frp.jar? It was not part of the zip file I downloaded.

Apologies for my ignorance, but it's been awhile since I last ran this and whatever I did to get the old setup has been forgotten. There is an exisiting frp.jar, but it's the old version.

EDIT/UPDATE:
I unzipped the file a second time, and now there is an frp.jar file in the manual install folder. That is very odd. It's up and running as version 04-04-01.
jimr

Post by jimr »

I may need to update the doc to suggest using the direct run approach as the preferred method. jnlp was supposed to be more user friendly but apparently it no longer is on a mac.

Thanks again for posting your experiences.

Jim
beach58

Post by beach58 »

Update:
There is a way to run FRP without having to grant full disk access to the JavaLauncher app. Simply place the folder containing frp.jar, etc, in your user folder. I did this successfully on an Intel-based macbook pro running Ventura 13.1 and Java version 8 update 351.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Thanks once again to Beach58 for keeping everyone updated on this mac stuff.

Jim
pacificoast

Post by pacificoast »

Hi Beach58,

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro (Intel) to Big Sur and now see that Java has renamed System/Library/CoreServices/Java Web Start.app to System/Library/CoreServices/JavaLauncher.app

I already have frp.jar in my user folder and confirmed that I still had to follow my prior instructions and give JavaLauncher.app full disk access.

Maybe the problem goes away in Ventura 13.1?

Thanks, Nick