Sensitivity analysis will not run

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
drbrandt1

Sensitivity analysis will not run

Post by drbrandt1 »

When I click on "run" it builds the first column and then stops running with the first column of colors disappearing.

Guidance appreciated.

Doug
jimr

Re: Sensitivity analysis will not run

Post by jimr »

Hi Doug,

If you don't mind, this would probably be best handled through email.

Could you remove all personal/sensitive info from your .frp file (eg change portfolio values and income amounts randomly) and email it at an attachment to info@flexibleRetirementPlanner.com? Since email is not secure, it's important to get rid of anything sensitive before you do it, but assuming the problem stays even after the numbers change, that'd be the best way for me to look into this.

In the years since I added this feature, I haven't had any reports about behavior like this, but perhaps you've found a combination of inputs that's tripping up the code.

Jim
drbrandt1

Post by drbrandt1 »

It should be on its way
jimr

Post by jimr »

Doug,

Thanks for the frp file. Congrats. You uncovered a bug. It's really a missing invalid input popup message, rather than a bug in the actual simulation logic, but that's splitting hairs.

The problem occurs because in sensitivity analysis, you've specified a range for retirement age from 61 to 67. However, in additional inputs, you've set up an 'Other Income' cash flow that starts at 'Retirement Year' and ends at age 66.

When sensitivity analysis tries to run the simulation with Retirement Age set to 67, that cash flow entry in additional inputs becomes invalid because the start year (age 67) is greater than the end year (age 66).

The code caught the inconsistency and aborted the sensitivity analysis run, but it was supposed to pop up an error message to explain the problem. I'm not sure what happened with the error message popup and I'll have to dig into the code to see what the problem is.

In the meantime, you can disable that cash flow in additional inputs, or change the end year of the cash flow to age 67 as a workaround that probably wouldn't impact the results much. Another option is to change the upper bound on the retirement age in sensitivity analysis to age 66.

Jim
drbrandt1

Post by drbrandt1 »

I changed sensitivity upper range to 66 and it works fine. Thanks
jimr

Post by jimr »

Glad you've got a workaround. This one is now officially on my to do list. Thanks again for taking the time to post this and email the file.
trfrp

Post by trfrp »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but couldn't floating dates help with this? If this "other income" item could be set to start at "Retirement Year" and end at "Retirement Year+5", then it would not conflict with a sensitivity analysis that varies the Retirement Year.