Flexible Retirement Planner Applet will not quit

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
Doug

Flexible Retirement Planner Applet will not quit

Post by Doug »

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8.
The Flexible Retirement Planner Applet will not quit, and therefore I cannot shut down or restart my computer.
I have tried to force quit and that doesn't work. I have tried to remove the applet from my dock, but it will not allow me to do that.
I would appreciate any help with this.
jimr

Re: Flexible Retirement Planner Applet will not quit

Post by jimr »

Hi Doug,

A few questions to try to get to the bottom of this.

When the applet is in this state, does it appear hung, or is it working normally? Does this happen repeatedly, or just once?

Also, what version of Java do you have installed?

Finally, have you tried to run the application version of the planner instead of the Java applet version?

Thanks,

Jim
Doug

Post by Doug »

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure if I can answer those questions. I don't even recall installing the Applet, but I did use the planner. Since I didn't pay for it, I am not able to save my results. So is it hung up? When I click on it, nothing more happens, but since I wasn't able to save my results that doesn't surprise me.

A couple of years ago Java was deemed to be a gateway for a virus on macs and I don't think I have it installed. I followed some web instructions to find it and here are the results:

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version
-bash: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java: No such file or directory
DougsComputer:~ dougrussell$

Doug
jimr

Post by jimr »

Thanks for the extra info.

First, the applet and the application are both free for non-commercial use. There's a license nag window that pops up when you start the application, but you can close that and feel free to use the program. This is entirely consistent with the program terms of use as long as you're not using the software commercially (eg as a financial advisor).

Second, the security issues with Java in the Browser are very real and as a result I revamped the applet version of the program so it no longer runs inside a web browser. This lets you to disable Java integration with your browser, but still have Java installed on your machine so legitimately installed programs (that have passed security checks) can use it.

Finally, if you don't have any version of Java installed on your mac, then none of my code will even start to run. It may be some sort of Java launcher stub that's installed on your machine that's hanging. It's tough to tell.

If you're up for it, you could try installing the latest Java for mac by visiting Java.com. I know there are other mac users out there that can run the program successfully.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Hi Jim,

Thank you! At least I have some avenues to pursue. I have a computer friend that I can ask to look into your suggestions. thanks much for taking the time to help. be well. Doug