Can't Reopen Standalone Program

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
Case59

Can't Reopen Standalone Program

Post by Case59 »

Yesterday I downloaded the standalone program along with Java, made a contribution to get the license, and had the program up and running in minutes. It worked great, and I had lots for fun with my initial run-throughs.

Today, I click on the FRP icon on my desk top and nothing happens, other than it glows a little. AFAIK,nothing else has changed, and I can't find any other way to try to re-open the program. How to fix?

I'm on a Mac Air running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Thanks.
jimr

Re: Can't Reopen Standalone Program

Post by jimr »

Did the desktop icon work yesterday or did you run the program by clicking on the frp.jar file that comes in the downloaded zip file?

The problem is most likely a Java installation or Java security problem, but it's tough to remotely diagnose it.

I'd suggest re-downloading the program zip, locating the file frp.jar and trying to launch the planner again with that file.

Another option is to check which file the desktop icon points to and going there to try launching the planner directly.

Finally, on some systems, the properties of the .jar file have to be changed to allow the file to be launched. Basically, clicking on a .jar file should launch Java with the file name as an argument. I forget exactly which property it is that controls this feature, but if you look at the .jar file properties, you'll be able to find it.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

You hit it with "Java security problem." My security settings were blocking the reopening of Java, even though I had given permission yesterday for the download.

Now, if you don't mind my hijacking my own thread, a couple of more basic (borderline dumb) questions:

1. "Annual Retirement Income" is non-portfolio income, such as SSN and pensions, correct?
2. "Annual Retirement Spending" is a pre-tax number, correct? (i.e., one should take expected expenses and gross them up for taxes?)

Thanks again for putting together such a cool program, and making it available on a reasonable basis.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Case59 wrote:1. "Annual Retirement Income" is non-portfolio income, such as SSN and pensions, correct?
Yes, that's correct.
2. "Annual Retirement Spending" is a pre-tax number, correct? (i.e., one should take expected expenses and gross them up for taxes?)
It shouldn't be necessary to gross spending up for taxes as long as income sources are entered correctly w.r.t. taxes.

The planner taxes all investment gains in the taxable portfolio as they happen, and therefore carries the taxable portfolio with a 100% basis. So withdrawals from the taxable portfolio don't get taxed.

OTOH, the planner doesn't tax investment gains in the tax deferred portfolio at all, and therefore carries the tax deferred portfolio with a 0% basis. So all withdrawals from the tax deferred portfolio are fully taxed at the income tax rate.

If you need $50k to cover additional spending (over and above income sources like ss and pensions), the simulation considers where the funds are coming from and if they're coming from the tax deferred portfolio , the simulation logic grosses up the withdrawal to cover taxes. You can see the results of this in the year-by-year output in the detailed view tab. Select the show more detail radio button to see more columns in the table.

It also may help to look at the additional inputs entries, especially the bottom table. Those inputs are similar to the income and expense inputs on the main planner windows, but they are more granular and let you see (and control) exactly how taxation and cost of living adjustments are handled.