Stand alone will not start on new computer WIN7

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
tawnykt

Stand alone will not start on new computer WIN7

Post by tawnykt »

I have deinstalled and installed Java twice, it is a brand new install of FRP. When I try to start the web applet, I get a java error.
jimr

Re: Stand alone will not start on new computer WIN7

Post by jimr »

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting the program to run.

What's the exact error you get?

Also, what do you mean when you say 'web applet'? I assume from the post title you're trying to run the standalone version of the planner after downloading and installing it on your computer. Is that correct?

Jim
tawnykt

Post by tawnykt »

When trying to start standalone FRP I got nothing, even when trying to run as administrator.

If I go to your homepage, and go to launch application, and choose the web version, I get the error in the attached file.

Just had a thought. We have two new identical computers. My husband uses your product. It runs fine on my computer. He has ad-block installed- really the only difference between our computers.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 28 16.33.jpg
ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 28 16.33.jpg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 111220 times
jimr

Post by jimr »

Hmmm. This is a mystery.

These issues are almost always from a corrupted Java installation or a misconfiguration in Java's security settings. Uninstalling and reinstalling Java generally fixes any problems.

One possibility is that there are multiple versions of Java installed on your computer and after you uninstall one, there's another left behind. To check this, follow the uninstall instructions and be sure to sort the 'installed programs' list in control panel by program name to see if there are multiple versions of Java installed.

Finally, does that error popup tell you anything else if you click "more information"?
tawnykt

Post by tawnykt »

Making progress. One more re-install of Java fixed the web interface version. Still when I try to start the standalone, nothing happens. Is there a verbose switch or something so I could see where it is erroring out?
jimr

Post by jimr »

Now that Java seems to be installed correctly, it might be worth it to uninstall FRP and reinstall it.

Once reinstalled, if it still doesn't work, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexible Retirement Planner\frp.exe and right click on frp.exe and select properties. From there, click the security tab and check that the file's digital signature is intact (valid). This verifies that the program hasn't been corrupted or altered somehow.
tawnykt

Post by tawnykt »

I deinstalled FRP, reinstalled, checked signature, which seems valid. Still nothing upon launch. I installed it on my computer which is identical to my husbands. Loads fine. The only thing that is different is his ad-block program. I de-installed that, but didn't reboot, and tried launching frp. Nada. Ad-block is really only for internet explorer anyway.

I am completely flummoxed! He really likes your program, and would hate to give it up.

Any other blockers/firewalls/anything I could check for?