Error msg when planner launches

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
FRPJunkie

Error msg when planner launches

Post by FRPJunkie »

I am getting an error box (the one with the exclamation point) each time I launch the planner. The box says "Invalid User Input" and the message in the box reads:

"Unable to Parse Value for Portfolio Return (Std Dev) Min Data Entered: .-25"

If I then click "OK" the planner launches normally. What's odd is that I don't have this value anywhere in the settings. And once launched the planner runs normally. What might be causing this?

I am on Mac, High Sierra.
jimr

Re: Error msg when planner launches

Post by jimr »

That sounds like a problem with the .frp input file. The error could be in the default scenario or it could be in another scenario that isn't active, which might make it tough to see.

Try doing a save-as of the current data file, which will reset the default input file to the newly 'saved' file.

Another option is to click on the 'New' icon to get a clean set of inputs and then do a save-as.

If the .frp file somehow did get corrupted, you might be able to rescue it by manually editing the file to fix the problem. You'll want to save a backup of the file before you edit it and then search for the value that's causing the error. Of course, you'll want to give all the inputs a good once over when you're done to make sure everything else is correct.
FRPJunkie

Re: Error msg when planner launches

Post by FRPJunkie »

jimr wrote:That sounds like a problem with the .frp input file. The error could be in the default scenario or it could be in another scenario that isn't active, which might make it tough to see.

Try doing a save-as of the current data file, which will reset the default input file to the newly 'saved' file.

Another option is to click on the 'New' icon to get a clean set of inputs and then do a save-as.

If the .frp file somehow did get corrupted, you might be able to rescue it by manually editing the file to fix the problem. You'll want to save a backup of the file before you edit it and then search for the value that's causing the error. Of course, you'll want to give all the inputs a good once over when you're done to make sure everything else is correct.
Will try and report back, thanks. I have (almost always) had issues running Java on my Macs. Often I have to launch frp.jar, then quit it, then re-launch to get the planner to run. It shows as running (the title bar menu options change) but there is nothing on the screen (no planner). My guess is the two issues are related.