Launch4j error?

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
goslow2gofast

Launch4j error?

Post by goslow2gofast »

I have a current version of the java runtime installed on my Windows 10 system, but when I launch FRP I keep getting a popup saying "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.4.0". However I have a current version of java installed, and if I do "java -version" at a command prompt it shows:

java version "10.0.2" 2018-07-17
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13, mixed mode)

How to I correct this?
jimr

Re: Launch4j error?

Post by jimr »

UPDATED: DISREGARD THIS COMMENT AND SEE POST BELOW FOR POSSIBLE RESOLUTION

----------
Original post follows...

Java 1.4.0 is just the minimum version of Java required, which basically means the program should launch with any properly installed and configured Java version.

So my first guess is that your version's JRE isn't properly configured on your system.

If you go to java.com and install the default version offered there, I am certain everything works (that's Java version 8 update 181).

I haven't personally installed Java 10 yet myself, so I can't be sure there isn't some sort of backward compatibility issue. I'll dig into this some more.

One test you might try is to download the Linux/Mac zip package and extract the frp.jar file out of the zip to see if you can manually run it. Running the jar directly takes the Launch4j packager utility out of the picture.

Let me know if any of that helps at all. In the meantime, I'll see what I can learn about Java 10 compatibility with Launch4j.

Jim
jimr

Post by jimr »

OK. More googling indicates that there's a problem with the launch4j wrapper utility detecting java versions properly when Java version 9 or Java version 10 is installed. The good news is that this should be fixed in the latest version of the tool which I've incorporated into a test build.

If you're up for trying out a fix. You can download the updated version at this link:
<Download Link removed... See comments below>

The installer, the executable, and the jar should all be signed by Random Walk Ventures, LLC. If you get any errors or warnings when you install or run the program, especially windows security warnings or anti-virus program warnings, I'm very interested in hearing about it.

Thanks,

Jim
goslow2gofast

Post by goslow2gofast »

Good news, bad news.

The good news, I downloaded the fix, and the error does not appear. I can see a task gets started in Task Manager.

sshot-595.png

The bad news, more often then not it doesn't show the application window, nothing appears. If I run it again, and perhaps a random number of times, sometimes the window pops up and the application runs then. I tried waiting several minutes after launching it to make sure it wasn't just a slowness thing, but doesn't seem to be. It just seems that sometimes it doesn't appear (most times) and occasionally it does.

Let me know if there is some debugging I can do here...
jimr

Post by jimr »

Thanks for trying this out.

It might be worth downloading the regular linux/mac zip file and extracting out the jar to see if that runs reliably under Java 10.

I plan to dig into the whole Java 10 thing myself when I get some time.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Also, have you tried running the program using the Java Web Start/JNLP launch approach (method 2) on this page?
https://www.flexibleretirementplanner.c ... unch-page/
goslow2gofast

Post by goslow2gofast »

The .JNLP file does launch the application, the fonts are a fair amount larger than desirable in all the .JNLP files, but worse than that, there is no menu bar. SO no way to load the sample file, or save a new file...
jimr

Post by jimr »

First, the lack of load/save options with the jnlp version is by design. The JNLP launch option is specifically intended to require minimal permissions, so it doesn't use any file system access and can't load/save files.

Obviously, that's a big limitation, which is why the full download option exists.

Still, it's interesting that the jnlp launch works well, even if the display windows size isn't good.

What resolution is your monitor?

I'm interested to see if you can reliably run the .jar directly from the linux/mac zip. That approach has all the functionality of the .exe program, just without the installer and launch4j wrapper functionality.

In general, upgrading form Java 8 to Java 11+ is going to be a bit of a pain and I've been putting it off.

As I understand it, starting with Java 11, JNLP will no longer be supported at all. So the limited permissions sandboxed option will disappear and users will only be to download and install the program.

The good news is that I think I may be able to create independent and complete executables (at least for windows and mac) which will be self-contained and won't depend java being installed separately.

Anyhow, thanks for the debugging help. Hopefully you can at least run the .jar file directly and have full functionality for the time being.
goslow2gofast

Post by goslow2gofast »

jimr wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:03 pm It might be worth downloading the regular linux/mac zip file and extracting out the jar to see if that runs reliably under Java 10.
Running the JAR file seems to have the same behavior as the EXE file, it starts the process but never brings up the UI.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Can you still get into the program if you try to run it multiple times? If so, is the window size/font size reasonable seeming?

As I understand it, one of the changes from Java 8 to Java 9+ has to do with how display scaling works. Java versions 8 and below had a bug that they'd tell windows they handled dpi scaling, but actually didn't handle it.

I have a setting in the program to manually adjust the scaling. The program tries to automatically select a good scaling factor to fit on your screen, but you can adjust this inside the program by manually setting a display scaling factor by selecting 'Configure->Configure Display Scaling'