FRP Tool Corrupted File

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
elvisimprsntr

FRP Tool Corrupted File

Post by elvisimprsntr »

BACKGROUND

I am running the latest FRP application (java download) on macOS Catalina. one every 10th time I launch the FRP java application, it reports that the file was corrupted and could not be opened. Unfortunately, the FRP application will not let me open an existing file when I attempt to navigate to the location. The open file Dialog box will not list the file even though the file has .frp for the file extension.

This problem occurs with the current and previous version of the FRP java application.

Have tried to save a new file, then copy/rename the previously working file which results in the same error message.
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 16.49.29.png
It also seems like the java application is not really consistent with macOS file and directory and naming, as it attempt to add a leading "{user}/" to the filename. I would have posed a second picture of the dialog box, but the forum will not let me add two files inline at a time.

ACTION/REPLY REQUESTED

The only way I can get FRP to recover my file is to:
1. Save a new file with a different name
2. Edit the old and new files, and manually copy the contents of the old file into the new file and save.
3. Relaunch FRP and hope is does not puke on the file.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help diagnose the problem.
jimr

Re: FRP Tool Corrupted File

Post by jimr »

This one is likely to be either an OS issue or a Java issue since file opening and reading isn't part of the FRP code.

I did some quick googling and I did find some users reporting problems with files/folder not appearing in finder on Catalina, but it's tough to say if it's related:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250827321

The .frp file is just a text file so it might be interesting to see if a text editor can reliably open it. If so, then maybe there's a permission problem with Java on your machine.

Do you know what version of Java you have installed?

Thanks,

Jim
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

@jimr

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I can open the FRP file in any text editor. That is how I was able to brute force getting scenarios back.
1. Launch FRP. Save new filename.
2. Copy old content into new file using editor.
3. Launch FRP. Presto!

Currently have Java 8 Update 241, which was just updated today. Didn't see anything in the RN that might explain. https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... 13177.html
Will keep an eye out for reoccurrence.

When I attempt to manually open an existing file from within FRP and I navigate to the directory, the file with the .frp extension never comes up in the dialog box, even with the latest Java.

I have seen file permission issues trying to write over an existing file with the previous version (8u231?), in addition to the error message in my OP. Not even sure where to begin.
jimr

Post by jimr »

I'm not sure if this could be the problem, but for Catalina, you can enable file system access for Java by going to
General Settings -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy

From there, add add permission for the program "Java" to access to the folder where you store your frp files.

I have heard from other users running on Catalina about various file permission problems, but never this exact description.

So far everyone on Catalina that reported trouble was able to get everything working by messing around with permissions.
jimr

Post by jimr »

I'm not sure if this might help for this particular issue, but I heard from another user with file permission problems on Catalina and they reported that the following steps fixed their issue:

- Went to Settings/Java Control Center/General
- Temporary Internet Files - clicked View
- Clicked on Flexible Retirement Planner
- Clicked on Green Arrow => Run the selected application online
- Then I got prompt to allow access to my Documents folder, and that was it. I can see any files under Documents and was able to load my precious frp file.
gecko10x

Post by gecko10x »

jimr wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 pm I'm not sure if this might help for this particular issue, but I heard from another user with file permission problems on Catalina and they reported that the following steps fixed their issue:

- Went to Settings/Java Control Center/General
- Temporary Internet Files - clicked View
- Clicked on Flexible Retirement Planner
- Clicked on Green Arrow => Run the selected application online
- Then I got prompt to allow access to my Documents folder, and that was it. I can see any files under Documents and was able to load my precious frp file.
I was having the exact same problem, and this fixed it. Just wanted to note for others that this was the resolution.
Thanks!
jimr

Post by jimr »

Glad it worked and thanks for following up to help out others with the same issue.