Directory and .frp file access for MacOS

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
redderhead

Directory and .frp file access for MacOS

Post by redderhead »

When running Java-based Flexible Retirement Planner, like FRP poster Fortitude (post of Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm), I often experience Java not displaying .frp files (or subdirectories) inside MacOS file directories that actually have .frp files in them. Very frustrating.

I consider this a Java file-access problem and occurs for me even though I’ve granted Java folder access via System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy>Files and Folders. Again, I think this is a Java problem since I’m 90% sure I’ve experienced it with other Java/.jar programs

Here’s a quick summary and a detailed solution for this problem. In the following I’m using directory and folder interchangeably.

Executive summary:
1) Open FRP Open dialog window.
2) Drag and drop a FINDER .frp file or subdirectory there.
3) The FRP Open dialog window should display content correctly.

Detailed steps:
To give Flexible Retirement Planner (FRP) access to a directory or files on MacOS:

1) Start Java-based FRP on your Mac. Wait for main FRP window to open.

2) Initiate Open function in FRP (File>Open….) or (click the Open icon at top of FRP window).

This is the stage where the problem shows up: while a directory on your storage device displays, it will show no listed files nor any of its subdirectories even though, like Fortitude, you know that directory contains viable .frp files.

3) When FRP’s open dialog window opens, leave it open and switch to a MacOS Finder directory of your choice that contains .frp files or a subdirectory that you’d like to access in FRP. You may need to resize or move the opened FRP Open dialog window around to keep it visible when you click into a Finder window.

You need to be able to Drag and Drop from the Finder window to the FRP Open dialog window.

4) In the Finder window of a directory of your choice, Click, Drag, and Drop the icon of a .frp file or subdirectory listed in that directory ONTO the FRP Open dialog window.

5) When you’re successful, that directory will populate the FRP Open dialog window and .frp files will list correctly and can be selected/double clicked and opened. Double clicking on a .frp file will instantly load into FRP and you’ll see that scenario’s variables listed in FRP’s main window.

My experience is that once a dragged and dropped Finder directory displays in the Java-based FRP Open dialog window, all subdirectories listed there are clickable and their files and THEIR subdirectories will all show up correctly in FRP’s Open or Save As dialog boxes.

I keep multiple FRP .frp files in subdirectories in my MacOS Documents folder and so I drag and drop the Documents directory into FRP and then all its subdirectories are accessible.

I hope YMDV….

Executive summary:
1) Open FRP Open dialog window.
2) Drag and drop a FINDER .frp file or subdirectory there.
3) The FRP Open dialog window should display content correctly.

Red Head
jimr

Re: Directory and .frp file access for MacOS

Post by jimr »

Red Head,

Thanks for writing this up. MacOS/Java file permission issues have been a recurring headache for many users so it's good to have this solution so well documented.

Jim