Problems running the planner with older version of MAC OS

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
frp user

Problems running the planner with older version of MAC OS

Post by frp user »

Hi, I have tried several times to use the planner. I get an error message even though I have updated my Java as much as possible. I am using a Mac running OS 10.3.9. Java update you are linked to requires 10.4, does this mean I will not be able to use the planner without upgrading to 10.4? Is there any way I can access a previous version of the planner from before release of OS 10.4?

Thanks,
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems running the planner with older version of MAC OS

Post by admin »

Hello,

I'm not very familiar with the MAC OS vs. Java version dependency matrix so I may not completely understand the issue.

In any case, I thought I set up the project to allow older versions of Java, but I noticed that I inadvertently introduced a dependency on java version 1.5.

I've rebuilt the planner and updated the site to eliminate the 1.5 dependency (I think) which should allow it to run on v1.3 and v1.4 java versions. If you can run the planner, the help will show the planner version at 1.1.1.

Please let me know if this works for you (and if possible, what java version you have).

Regards,
frp user

Post by frp user »

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I just tried to access the planner again from my Mac at home (both Netscape and Safari browsers), and it still won't load. But I tried it on my PC at work today and it worked fine. I guess I will just have to stay after work some evening and use it there.
frp user

Post by frp user »

Hi Jim,
While I have you here, if I finally figure out how to get this working on my Mac at home (I still haven't found a download of Java 1.4), is there any way to print out the results or do I just need to make screen shots to have a record?

Thanks,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately, the screenshot approach is usually the best bet. You can try the browser print button and it does work someone (depending on the browser).

This is one of the drawbacks of using Java (in addition to the headaches of getting Java to run on the platform). For security reasons (to protect you from malicious code), my program has no access to any hardware on your machine, not even the printer.

Jim