Blank screen and "Class not found" error launching planner?

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
frp user

Blank screen and "Class not found" error launching planner?

Post by frp user »

I love your website. I've been looking for a retirement planner like yours for weeks now and thought it didn't exist. However, when I tried to use it, I got an error message class retirementSim.runSim not found as shown in the attached screenshot.

Is there some setting I must have?

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
admin
Site Admin

Re: Blank screen and "Class not found" error launching planner?

Post by admin »

Thanks for trying the planner. The last time someone reported this symptom it was because their browser's Java permission was set to high safety. The planner will run fine at medium safety, which is the Windows XP default setting. I noticed that your browser is provided by Comcast. Maybe they adjust the default security settings in their version.

Please let me know if changing this corrects the issue and if you have any other questions.

Jim
frp user

Post by frp user »

Hi Jim,

I checked the settings on my Internet tools>Security page and it is at Medium safety already. Is the Java permission that you mention covered by that?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It looks like there's something else going on that's interfering with your ability to run the planner.

Have you tried updating your version of Java to the latest version? You can get the latest version from this link:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Also, if you wouldn't mind telling me what OS and browser version you're using, that would be great.

Finally, if you can see a Java icon in the taskbar on the lower right of the screen, you might try right-clicking it and selecting "open console". Then run the planner and see if any error information is displayed.

Thanks,

Jim
frp user

Post by frp user »

Jim,
I was able to fix the problem once I updated my Java version.
Thanks for a great tool!