What's next?

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
jimr

Re: What's next?

Post by jimr »

Taylor,

Unfortunately, this latest release was mostly just maintenance stuff along with the changes for to support the SECURE Act, so I didn't get to your suggestion for floating start and end years.

At this point, I'm mostly in maintenance mode with this code and don't have plans for new functionality or changes to functionality, especially in the code that runs the main simulation loop. It's possible that could change, but that's my thinking right now.

Jim
jimrpa

Post by jimrpa »

Any chance that the application might be ported from Java to something more modern? Java support (at least on Macs) is becoming creaky.
jimr

Post by jimr »

I don't have any near term plans for a re-write. I'm expecting Java support for desktops to stay viable for several more years, but of course that could turn out to be overly optimistic. So far, at least on windows the signs are pretty positive that Java will remain viable for a long time. Java is still one of the most prominent programming languages out there, powering things like Android OS, Amazon Web Services, and most of the Internet.

Last year, I redid the planner's Windows installer/app wrapper and now Java doesn't need to be separately installed on windows systems. Basically, the program installs and runs just like any other Windows desktop application, without any external Java dependency.

I may eventually do the same for mac os, but developing for the mac is a bit more of a headache. This is partly from having to deal with the Apple ID program (and its annual cost), but also because I don't have a mac and Apple's licensing prohibits me from running Mac OS using a VM for development and debugging. So between the annual cost for a developer ID and the rules prohibiting VM usage, they're basically screaming at small developers like myself to stay away.