A new FRP standalone version

Announcements of new releases of software.
admin
Site Admin

A new FRP standalone version

Post by admin »

Beta testing is in progress on the new FRP standalone version. This version of the planner can be downloaded to your computer and run without internet access.

An official release date hasn't been announced, but it is expected to be within a month or two.

Here's a quick list of the features in the new version:
  • Same internal simulation capabilities as the web-based planner
  • Ability to save and restore settings
  • Support for up to 10 user defined simulation "scenarios"
  • Improved data comparison and visualization
  • Ability to print results
  • Data export capability (csv format)
  • Runs on Windows, Mac, and Unix operating systems
(Full disclosure: There will be a nominal charge for the standalone version, but pricing hasn't been announced. The web-based planner will remain free)
admin
Site Admin

Re: A new FRP standalone version is coming soon...

Post by admin »

Here's a screenshot of the main view of the new application.

You can see most of the new things here including the open/save and the scenarios.

A scenario is basically a set of input values with a name. When you save a data file, all of the scenarios that you've built are included with it.

If you click on the "run all" button on the button panel, a full simulation is run for each scenario, with the results sent to the history view for review and comparison.

(note: you can click on the screenshot below to see a full-sized image)
Attachments
Summary View Screenshot
Summary View Screenshot
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This screenshot shows the detailed view.

Aside from some re-layout, the other new thing here is the ability to show/hide columns of the table and to export and print the table.

Also, you can change the active scenario at the top of the window and the simulation results for the selected scenario will be shown. In this way you can quickly go back and forth between the scenarios that you've defined.
Attachments
Detailed view screenshot
Detailed view screenshot
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next window is the "history view". This is an expanded version of the history table from the summary view.

This view lets you compare the results of simulation runs that you've completed. As you click on different runs in the table at the bottom of the screen, the data for that run is brought up in the graph.

Also, if you right-click on any run, you can bring up a pop-up window that has the detailed results.

Finally, as with the other tables, you can hide columns, print, and export the table data.
Attachments
History view Screenshot
History view Screenshot
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's a look at the "manage scenarios" window.

It lets you quickly replicate scenarios and manage the list of them.
Attachments
Manage scenarios screenshot
Manage scenarios screenshot
jack

Re: A new FRP standalone version is coming (see screenshots)...

Post by jack »

Will the stand-alone app be something that will run on a mac (for example, are you writing it still in Java)?
jimr

Post by jimr »

Jack,

Yes, the app is still in Java so it will run on a mac.

I haven't packaged the jar file with an installer for the mac or Linux, like I did on windows so things like automatic file association don't happen, but I understand there are some tools I can use to do that, so I may get to it yet.

Also, I've been getting some big help from a mac user in the beta process and we've cleaned up a few mac GUI problems from the older FRPWeb versions.

Jim
DL

Post by DL »

admin wrote:Beta testing is in progress on the new FRP standalone version. This version of the planner can be downloaded to your computer and run without internet access.

An official release date hasn't been announced, but it is expected to be within a month or two.

Here's a quick list of the features in the new version:
Love your site, thanks for all the hard work. What is the latest on when the standalone version will be available. Thanks.
  • Same internal simulation capabilities as the web-based planner
  • Ability to save and restore settings
  • Support for up to 10 user defined simulation "scenarios"
  • Improved data comparison and visualization
  • Ability to print results
  • Data export capability (csv format)
  • Runs on Windows, Mac, and Unix operating systems
(Full disclosure: There will be a nominal charge for the standalone version, but pricing hasn't been announced. The web-based planner will remain free)
DL

Post by DL »

What is the latest on when the standalone version will be available?
jimr

Post by jimr »

DL wrote:What is the latest on when the standalone version will be available?
Hello,

I've been a bit busy since the summer started and I haven't had a chance to work on this project much. I've just got a few loose ends to tie up before it can be formally released.

The Beta has gone very well and is very stable. The latest web version and the standalone version are built on a common core and the core has gotten quite a workout between the web frp usage and the beta. If you'd like, send me an email and perhaps I can get you a copy of the beta to use.

Regards,

Jim