Question about how to enter California teachers' pension

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Teacher in CA

Question about how to enter California teachers' pension

Post by Teacher in CA »

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out how to enter my future pension in the Additions section. It is a California State Teachers pension, and it doesn’t have a standard COLA, but a 2% simple (non-compounded) incremental raise every year, based on the initial benefit amount. 2% of the first year amount is added every year. So I averaged the raises for 10-year segments, and input those amounts as no-cola pensions in 3 or 4 batches. The outcome was not good.

Adding to the complexity is that legislation requires CalStrs to send supplemental payments to bring the benefit up to 85% of the purchasing power of the initial benefit. So there is a built-in floor that won’t allow the benefit to get way out of line with regard to inflation, but it doesn’t really keep up.

So in effect, I SORT OF have a cola pension, and sort of not. Is there a way I can figure it out for a realistic outcome?
jimr

Re: Question about how to enter California teachers' pension

Post by jimr »

Hello,

I think you're on the right track in trying to break your pension into multiple parts. I made this spreadsheet to help me visualize the payout terms and it seems like that 85% minimum purchasing power guarantee really dominates in the later years.

With some help from the spreadsheet, you should be able to enter the pension in 2 just parts. First, enter a COLA'd pension using 85% of its starting payout value (continuing until the end of the plan). Then create an additional no-cola pension to make up the difference between the actual payout and the guaranteed payout that occurs during the first few years before the guarantee really kicks in.

With a 3% inflation rate (if I did the spreadsheet right), it looks like it takes about 15 years before the guarantee kicks in. If your starting benefit was $10,000 annually, to cover the difference, you'd enter an additional 14-year no-cola pension payout of $1006 a year. (Edit the starting payout and inflation rate in the spreadsheet to compute the actual amount to use for the second pension.)

Good Luck,

Jim
Teacher in CA

Post by Teacher in CA »

Jim,

I entered my pension with the changes you suggested, and the outcome is VERY favorable...100% with green light. Of course, there is no guarantee the legislature won’t yank the 85% floor for current and future retirees, especially with the current anti-pension climate.

I always figured if that happened, I could rely on a modest inheritance to boost my portfolio. But when I enter, say, $100,000 as a one-time savings at age 63, the whole plan is less successful, and the ending portfolio value is less. Why is this? And is this the best way to enter a one-time windfall I intend to invest?

Thanks again!
jimr

Post by jimr »

Hello,

I moved this new question to a new topic about lump sum investing so people can find the topic more easily. Otherwise the lump-sum question would get buried inside this pension topic and people might not find it.

Jim