Increasing Savings

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Deke

Increasing Savings

Post by Deke »

Under "Additional Inputs" is there a way to get around (or an explanation of) the inflation being greyed out for the savings items? I'm currently in my 20s and expect to increase my rate of savings beyond inflation up to a certain amount and am not sure how to account for this. I likewise expect my salary (and employer match) to correspondingly increase greater than inflation for the next few years.
jimr

Re: Increasing Savings

Post by jimr »

Unfortunately, this is an oversight. When I added the Fixed COLA option, I didn't extend it to the savings cash flow types. I made a note to add this capability next time I'm in that code.

In the meantime, the best bet is probably to chunk up your savings cashflows into 5 or 10 year periods and manually reset the amount at the start of each period. It's not exact of course, but that's the nature of any retirement model and this should give you a decent approximation.

Jim
Deke

Post by Deke »

Thanks Jim, I'll do that.

Out of curiosity, how often do you update the code?
jimr

Post by jimr »

The software is getting pretty mature at this point, but I do updates right away when a serious issue is found. Otherwise, timing for updates is based on when I get inspired to add something new, which is often by user request.

You can check out the release notes under help for the full version history of the software.

Jim