Native Mac App

Post questions and comments about installing the program, getting it to run on your computer, and unexpected error messages.
bobluck

Native Mac App

Post by bobluck »

Hi,
Continue to love the program and would gladly donate again for a native Mac app. I would suggest adding it to the App store and charging $20-30. You already got my 5 star rating.
jimr

Re: Native Mac App

Post by jimr »

Thanks for the kind words about the planner and for the great suggestion to create a mac app.

Supporting mobile devices like phones and tablets through an app is on the long term to-do list, but it's not something that I'm currently working on. But definitely stay tuned!
bobluck

Post by bobluck »

Was talking about a native Desktop Application, but mobile is not a bad idea either. Thanks
jimr

Post by jimr »

The desktop version of the planner currently does run on a mac. It's a Java based application, just like the windows version.

The download link for the mac version is on this page:
http://www.flexibleretirementplanner.com/wp/download/

When you say you'd prefer a 'native app', is that because you don't like the look and feel of the Java based application?
bobluck

Post by bobluck »

Yes, don't like the look and feel or the idea of having to install Java just to run it. The app had never launched correctly on the Mac I almost always have to close and open it again to even see the interface. After it is launched it is fine.

Shortcomings (my opinion)

- need java to run
- hit miss on first launch
- can't store in app folder (only .apps)
- after launched no native icon, only the silly Java default icon X 2

Don't get me wrong. I love the mechanics of the planner and find it quite useful. It just has never felt right on the Mac. None of these issues seemed to be a problem when I used to own a PC. (please hold anti Mac comments) :) I do run several other Java based apps on the Mac that seemed to have overcome the above stated issues and don't even require Java to be installed to run. (Moneydance, StockMarket Eye). I've played around quite awhile with several third party utilities to try and bundle FRP as an .app with mixed success, but guess I'm just not smart enough to get it working as expected. (icon display issues, and still fail to launch first time with my attempt to bundle and an app.) I'm just too new to mac to understand all the ins and outs of the operating system.