Expat Teacher considering pulling the plug

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Expat Teacher

Expat Teacher considering pulling the plug

Post by Expat Teacher »

Hi there

I am a NZ citizen married to a MN gal from "The Range". We met overseas and have taught in international schools for over 20 years. It has been a great gig but we are considering returning to either NZ or the USA in June 2017. I am 55 and my wife is 53. We have put together a portfolio of just over a million dollars. I figure if we earn enough to cover our costs (earn $40K per year to live on) for the next 5-10 years (and not touch our nest egg) we should be in really good shape when we eventually stop working. I am trying to come up with a budget with zero retirement income as I am not eligible for SS and what my wife will get is not really worth counting. The monster in the closet for me is medical insurance - costs for this in the USA seem to be increasing faster than a NASCAR.

If anyone has any thoughts if our plan I would love some feedback. Any advice from former expat teachers on the topic of early retirement would also be cool.

Regards

Expat Teacher
jimr

Re: Expat Teacher considering pulling the plug

Post by jimr »

This forum is mostly used to help folks learn how to use the planner. It's not very active in terms of helping with general retirement planning advice.

There's a great Internet forum called bogleheads.org that's very well run and very active. That forum has lots of knowledgeable folks ready to help answer questions just like yours. If you post your question over there I suspect you'll get tons of good input.
Expat Teacher

Re: Expat Teacher considering pulling the plug

Post by Expat Teacher »

Thanks - I will take your advice and post it there.

Tony