Where do I enter information for my spouse?

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
jamimo

Where do I enter information for my spouse?

Post by jamimo »

I have just started this process and an on the first screen. Where do I enter data for my spouse?
jimr

Re: Where do I enter information for my spouse?

Post by jimr »

Usually it makes sense to do that in the Additional Inputs window.

When you create cash flows in this additional inputs window, the key is that everything is keyed off the ages entered on the main window.

So assuming you entered your own current age and retirement age on the main window, when you enter information for your spouse in additional inputs, you'll want to enter the start and end ages relative to your age.

For example, if your spouse is 2 years younger than you and plans to start social security at age 67, enter 69 as the start age when you create the cash flow in additional inputs for your spouse's social security.
billbowers

Post by billbowers »

The way to enter spouse information is convoluted. I can't believe it! Are you sure there isn't a clear way to do it, instead of the way you suggested? That's crazy, and makes me wonder about this software. Thanks.
jimr

Post by jimr »

It's really not as bad as it sounds. You can add a memo to each additional inputs entry to indicate what the cash flow represents. For example "Mary's Social Security" or "John's Pension."

If you give it a try and don't feel the software is workable for what you need to do, let me know and I'll happily provide a refund.

Jim
billbowers

Post by billbowers »

Jim,

First of all, thank you for doing the right thing by offering a refund. That says a lot about you.

After 32 years I've never seen a FP program that required a roundabout way to enter such basic information. That is NOT an insult. I've just never seen such a thing and am not comfortable with it. So, yes, I would appreciate a refund.

Again, thank you.

Bill Bowers
Georgetown, IN
klrjaa

Post by klrjaa »

Whatever refund Billy boy requested I'll match with a donation as this program is clearly above some folks heads. Thanks Jim
ps just made a donation thanks again Jim
jimr

Post by jimr »

Kirjaa,

Thanks again for the generous contribution. It was a thoughtful gesture and is very much appreciated.

Jim