Calculating spouse's income and retirement withdrawals

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
crgdr2

Calculating spouse's income and retirement withdrawals

Post by crgdr2 »

Hi Jim,

I apologize if this has been answered before but I didn't find it with a search:

I am 61 and will be 62 later this year. I am retiring June 2021 and will start withdrawing retirement income in August 2021. My wife is 57 and will retire in 8 years at 65. Since her retirement income won't be available until June of 2028, instead of combining our retirement income, I ran one plan without her retirement income and another without mine. This gave me an idea of what my portfolio would be at retirement and what hers would be in 8 years. Then I ran a combined plan with her portfolio added in the additional inputs page as starting at my age of 70, leaving the portfolio on the main page as mine only, starting at 62. All other data, expenses, etc., were placed in the additional inputs page. Does this make sense and would this be an acceptable way to determine our yearly income and withdrawals based on who retired first? The withdrawals in the detailed output look spot on with what our budget will look like. By the way, thanks for a very powerful program!
jimr

Re: Calculating spouse's income and retirement withdrawals

Post by jimr »

That sounds workable but you shouldn't need to keep the portfolio's separate the way you did.

The retirement age on the main window mainly controls the end age for additions to saving and the start age for retirement expenses entered on the main page.

It's fine to have a plan with multiple retirement dates as long as all the cash flows are set up in additional inputs and the start and end ages are correctly keyed to the older spouse's age.
crgdr2

Re: Calculating spouse's income and retirement withdrawals

Post by crgdr2 »

Thanks for the rapid reply!