Modeling Roth conversions

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Fortitude

Re: Modeling Roth conversions

Post by Fortitude »

Yeah...I've been trying both of those steps. But when I try to make the fro.jar file as the one to open the .frp file, the fro.jar file is grayed out and won't allow me to make it the executable file to open the .frp data file. I've seen other users have this problem in the past, but I've yet to identify a solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep trying and I'll let you know if I'm successful so that it may benefit other members.
jimr

Post by jimr »

You don't need to associate the frp.jar with the .frp file to get it to work. As long as you can get Java to launch frp.jar, once it opens you can then open your .frp file. After you open the .frp file the first time, the program will automatically remember the last file you opened and open it next time you launch.
jwendellp

Post by jwendellp »

On a Mac I think you have to go to System Preferences | Security & Privacy, where you should find a message asking if you want to allow opening the .jar file. Click yes and it should work.
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

jimr wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:38 pm You don't need to associate the frp.jar with the .frp file to get it to work. As long as you can get Java to launch frp.jar, once it opens you can then open your .frp file. After you open the .frp file the first time, the program will automatically remember the last file you opened and open it next time you launch.
Allow me to clarify.

I'm able to launch the frp.jar file to open the app with no problem at all. The issue I'm having is that once the app launches after double clicking the frp.jar file and I try to load my .frp data file, the app can't "see" the .frp file in order to open it. It's not even listed. For example, I have my .frp file on my Desktop. However, when I point the app to my Desktop to open the .frp file, it doesn't see it all. I even tried to open the Example.frp file that was included in the download and the app doesn't see that file either.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Man. Sorry for all the headache on this.

I believe that's a separate macos/java bug that can be fixed by giving Java permission to access your local file system (in particular the folder where the file is stored). The trick is that Java itself needs permission, not frp.jar.

I believe you can enable file system access for Java by going to
General Settings -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy

From there, add permission for the program "Java" to access to the file system folder in question.

This first cropped up last year and I thought they had fixed it by now.
jwendellp

Post by jwendellp »

I've seen this, too, specifically related to having the .frp file on the desktop, and I think it's related to syncing with iCloud. In Finder, try going to iCloud Drive | Desktop and make sure there are no pending syncs. This has worked for me in the past.
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

Thanks for the suggestions in the above posts. I've tried everything mentioned and a few other things up my sleeve to no avail. I'm quite strong at tech and I've never seen anything like this. From everything I've experienced, it seems to be a Java issue. In addition to the problems trying to run FRP on a Mac, my Mac has all of a sudden been quite unstable ever since installing Java earlier this morning.

I'm going to uninstall Java and try to figure out what's going on with my Windows machine.
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

jimr wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:11 pm Man. Sorry for all the headache on this.
Please...there is nothing for you to be sorry about. You've developed a remarkable tool that has allowed me, and I'm sure countless others, to establish a clear path to an early and successful retirement. I have an Excel model that I developed about 15 years ago and I still use it, however, it has become a bit unwieldy and I use it more as a sanity check and a database for daily portfolio balances and daily YTD rate of return monitoring. FRP has much more flexibility and automation that I wouldn't even attempt to model.

I did manage to get my Windows machine running again. You did a great job on adding the Roth Conversion feature. Thanks again for adding what is such an important component in developing an effective income tax strategy and estate plan throughout retirement. This has become even more critical with the SECURE Act's elimination of the Stretch IRA and the tax implication to heirs for estate planning.

I exported the detailed version of the plan into Excel and I'm in data heaven. I'm embarrassed not knowing this capability has always been there for the years that I've been using FRP.

Thanks again for your help.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Fortitude wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:58 pmThanks again for your help.
You're welcome. I'm glad that you found a way to make it work.
target2019

Post by target2019 »

I'm using the 04.04.01 beta, and ran 3 different cases. One has 0k conversion, other two are 20K and 40K. For each case I run, and then look at Detail with All Columns Unhidden.

I see the correct amount of Roth conversion and taxes in each case. But the Total Income and Taxable Income do not change. I'm having difficulty understanding that, as I expected to see more of each.

I tried changing Spending Policy, but still see the same numbers in Total Income and Taxable Income.
Thanks.