Custom Withdrawl Order With Dividends vs. Asset Sales

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
Gm8VzoU8yRocC7UcWDGE

Custom Withdrawl Order With Dividends vs. Asset Sales

Post by Gm8VzoU8yRocC7UcWDGE »

How can I set up a custom withdrawal order? I cannot find a pre-set that fits my scenario. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I intend to live primarily off dividends, with minimal asset sales, and would like to delay any liquidation of assets, regardless of account type (taxable, IRA, Roth, HSA, etc) as far as possible. Most of my dividend income will come from my taxable account, but some of it will also come from our IRAs and Roth IRAs. I've set Retirement Income with a number that represents the dividend income generated from my taxable account, which is about half the number in the Annual Retirement Spending, but I don't see where/how I can set an input to represent the dividend income from our IRA and Roth IRAs.

The four choices in the settings for withdrawal order don't represent our scenario, since we'll be pulling from 3 different account types at once, but we'll only be pulling dividends, and not liquidating assets to generate income. Ideally there would be a fifth custom withdrawal option that allowed me to specify what percentage I'm withdrawing from each type of account in dividend income and asset sales, in addition to the order of withdrawals currently offered.

How can I set a withdrawal strategy that allows me to pull dividend income from taxable, IRA and Roth IRA at retirement? Will a fifth withdrawal option ever be added that allows me to do this, or is there some other way to accomplish this in the current version (v4.04.02) of the app?

Thank you.
2024-01-20_10-41-44.gif
jimr

Re: Custom Withdrawl Order With Dividends vs. Asset Sales

Post by jimr »

Unfortunately this isn't something that the planner can easily support and it's not something that's likely to be added in the future.

I haven't done a check of the competition in a while, but maybe there's another retirement planner that would be a better fit, given what you're trying to do.