how to model QCDs?

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
fdpo

how to model QCDs?

Post by fdpo »

I love this planner, but I can't see how to model a stream of QCDs. Seems like it should be a Cash Flow type under Additional Inputs. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
jimr

Re: how to model QCDs?

Post by jimr »

The planner doesn't handle qualified charitable distributions explicitly, but you could probably model the impact by setting up a negative savings cash flow from the tax deferred portfolio. You can use the memo field to document what the cash flow is for.

The ability to do negative savings cash flows, basically a withdrawal from the portfolio, is a hack I enabled based on user requests. Negative savings cash flows bypass the simulation logic that checks for things like whether there's enough money in the portfolio and whether any taxes are due on the withdrawal, so you have to be careful using it and double check that the planner is doing what you expect (eg use with extreme caution). Also, the money withdrawn basically disappears. It doesn't get used to fund expenses or get put anywhere else.