Modeling House Sale

Post questions about how to use the planner, user inputs, how the planner works, and comments and suggestions.
TBoneCO

Modeling House Sale

Post by TBoneCO »

I need to model selling current house and then retirement house.

Model shows first house selling in correct year, after tax income increases, and then median total withdrawl shows as $0 (because house offsets the need for withdrawl). However when I sell retirement house in later years, after tax income increases, but then median total withdrawl shows as ($941,450). I cannot figure out why it is showing a negative number.

Any ideas?

true Misc Income Age 68 Age 68 1500000 50 4.0 Sell House
true Misc Income Age 85 Age 85 1000000 50 4.0 Sell retirement house
jimr

Re: Modeling House Sale

Post by jimr »

Deleted. Please see below.
jimr

Post by jimr »

Actually, scratch that last question.

The way the net withdrawal is reported when income is greater than expenses is dependent on whether RMDs are happening. If RMDs are not happening, the net withdrawal shows as 0, if RMDs are happening, the net withdrawal shows as the net amount that gets added to the taxable portfolio.

I've made a note to update the code for the next release to force the net withdrawal amount to 0 if no withdrawal is needed. In cases where income is greater than expenses, you can see the actual amount added to the taxable portfolio by selecting the "show more details" radio button. Given that, there's no need to confuse things by showing a negative withdrawal amount also.

Regardless of this reporting issue, I just double checked the code and the underlying calculations and simulation processing on this all appear to be correct.
TBoneCO

Post by TBoneCO »

Thanks!